Friday, June 4, 2010

At the produce market this week

It's tomato time in Florida, which means tomatoes can be had dirt cheap at the produce market located at Hillsborough and 30th.  I went earlier this week and bought a 25 pound box for $5.  Considering that tomatoes--on sale this week at Publix-- are $1.29 a pound....well, you do the math.

Great, but what does one do with 25 pounds of tomatoes all at once?  Well, I opened the box the last two mornings and got a really ripe one out and ate it atop my pita and hummus for breakfast. Slathered thick slices on my half turkey sandwich for lunch. Mmmm.

Today I decided to tackle the rest of them.  I blanched and skinned almost all of them and put up six quarts in the freezer.  I put a few aside to eat.  I put a few in the window to get super ripe and I'll make salsa out of them.  And I'm making spaghetti and meatballs tonight.  The sauce is simmering in the background as I type and my stomach in growling.

Also in season are cantaloupes (the Florida kind).  Big ripe juicy fragrant and tasty at 2 for $1.  And watermelons are in. Can pick up a small to medium sized seedless for $2-$3.

Happy shopping.

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment