Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Transitions

Don't know how to begin this, so I'll just plunge right in.

Time for change.  All these cheesy lyrics are running through my head.

For every season, Turn, Turn, Turn.....


Time to ring some changes....

And more which just escaped me.

What's happening?  I no longer have a show on WMNF, and I'm going to be going back to work, to a full time job, for the first time in 10 years.

Let's begin with the WMNF stuff.  I've been a programmer on and off for the past 20+ years.  The Program Director decided to do significant changes to the schedule in response to our main competition, WUSF, going all Public Affairs and News during the day.  After a few months of discussion, a new schedule was issued, which did not include my 9 am slot on Monday morning.  There was a 3-4 pm 1 hour specialty show time slot.

Long long story short.  I didn't apply for one of the 3-4 pm positions.  I applied for the Morning Show or the new Afternoon Show slot form 12-3 pm.  I was not chosen for either of those slots.  What can I say, it sucks for me.  It's hard, but also....I've just started applying for real jobs that actually pay real money (and not just the occasional positive phone/email feedback) and the hours of the real jobs would interfere with doing the volunteer radio gig.  At least to start.  So, it's really hard to realize that I won't be on air anymore.  On the other hand, if I'd been given one of those slots, I didn't know how to tell the PD that I wouldn't be able to be full time for the next four months or so, until after my training was finished.

I've accepted one job offer and am waiting/expecting another.  After ten years of being a stay at home mom, my life is going to turn upside down  If I get an offer at USAA, with any luck I'll be able to ride my bike to work ( and pass the ghost bike on 30th St. every day.)  I'll get to go back and be professional and help people and meet a whole bunch of new people and become more, hell, I don't know, fulfilled.

So, it's all bittersweet.  No show...sucks.  Going to work...good.  Not being able to do both...life.

Just worried about the affect of all this on my kids.  They are going to have to shoulder some more of the family burden/chores.  It'll probably be good for them, but I will miss them, too.  I like our lazy days around the house, listening to Myth Busters in the background.

I'll miss my days in the woods on my mountain bike.  I'll be able to ride on the weekends, but it won't be the same. 

I've had it good for a long time.  Now it's time to help out financially around here.  It's time to go back to work for a paycheck and not just for fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment