Sunday, March 29, 2015

8-18-2007

I missed Centro-matic when they were in town in December because I wasn't feeling well.  They are one of my favorite bands.  I just love the feelings their songs evoke, even though I often have no idea, even with a lyric sheet in hand, what they're about.  The sounds from Will's vocals, his wonderful voice and very unique delivery, twisting consonants and vowels and singing words in different ways along with Scott's harmonies, keyboards, fiddle and whatever else he touches transports me out of my current self and puts me in a realm somewhere outside my simple existence.  Matt's inventive drumming and Mark's steady bass or amazing guitar, it allows me to have a few perfect moments in my life.  That was last night.  Sounds melodramatic but I guess I really needed my Centro fix.

The show was in Orlando, at the Social.  Doors at 9, and Centro was somehow the bottom of a 3 band bill, will Jason Isbell listed above him and Will Hoge (???) the headliner. Me and my friend Bev walk in at 9:30, and the band is on stage, tuning up.  Mark sees me and gives me a big smile and a wink and they started playing a few minutes later.  Short set, heavy on songs from 'Love You Just the Same.'  Like I just said, Scott's harmonies with Will are just amazing, makes me weak in the knees.  Scott sawing on his fiddle, Will did a few of his trademark high leg kicks.  The crowd at first were the loyalist who knew them but by the end of their 40 minute set they had the front by the stage crowded.
The set break was busy.  Found Jason and spoke to him just a bit, gave him the cookies I had baked for him.  His southern accent seems to deepen one on one vs. when he's on stage.  Bev gave him info about the radio station and invited him to come down if he wanted.  He remembered the station from when he was with the Truckers, they played live in studio before. He was very sweet.  Didn't get into a big q&a session 'cause I knew he had to get on stage.

Said hi to Mark and Will.  Will said they were gonna head out quickly after I gave him his batch of cookies, but said we'd visit more tomorrow in Tampa.
Went back in front of the stage to wait for Jason to start.  My turn to people watch.  Oh, boy.  High Trixie and Chad turn out.  Some guy who looked like an honest to god preppie from 1981.  Pressed khakis, tucked in polo shirt, short haircut.  Poster boy for the Young Republicans.  The new fashion for the 20 something female is the long top that ties under the breasts, kinda like a maternity top.  I'm so glad I don't feel the need to wear the latest.  These girls have never actually worn a maternity top or would understand why it would be the last thing one would want to wear.  There was a group of 3 men, late 20's early 30's, kinda scruffy looking. Big beer guts, all around 5'8" or so, tshirts, (one had a Hayseed Dixie shirt on) jeans, ball caps.  They enjoyed Centro but were there for Jason.  Smoked thru the entire show, took turns buying beer.  Was fun watching them have a good time.  One more observation, more people were drinking cocktails than I'm used to seeing, and it's not just because I usually go to a place that doesn't serve hard liquor.  I think normally that the minority of people drink cocktails, but here it seemed almost 50-50.

OK, Isbell came on and was smoking. He mentioned the 3 band of all guys, and how tonight was big for Man Love.  His band was tight. (actually they were all smoking, a constant grey haze from the stage)  Didn't keep a set list, of course, but got Dress Blues, Try,  but no Chicago Promenade.  Did a Thin Lizzy cover, Jailbreak.  Did a few Truckers songs, including Outfit, and that got the biggest response from the crowd.  Looked over and the three scruffy guys had their arms around each other and 2 of them actually joined hands and sang along the Truckers songs. Ah, Man Love. It was quite a sight.

So about halfway thru the set I left to get a beer.  I'm second from the stage, and my friend Bev is right behind me.  I'm back in a few minutes and see that she has been pushed back and these dancing young women, one with a piece of white netting in her hair, like a bridal veil, are where I was.  I've no idea what happened, but as I started to approach them to ask them to move, I see Bev charge in, shove them aside and push me back to where I was. I got beer spilled all over me and I guess over some of the space invaders as well. It was quite surprising, 'cause in the eight years I've known Bev I've never seen her lose her temper.  Later, she says they came bopping in, 4 of them, as a group moving as one, and invaded her space to get to where I had been.  They were so close that one of their ponytails was bouncing in her face. I think she tried to ask them to move but they ignored her. So she took matters into her own hands.  Too funny.  They later came and apologized for taking my spot but demanded an apology for spilling beer all over one of them.  Yes, we're sorry just please go away.  Bev is a black belt in tai-kwan-do so it would have been interesting if it had gotten really ugly.  Girl fight!!

It was a bit disconcerting but I got back into the show.  People kept bringing Jason shots (the 3 scruffies) and beer and you could see him getting drunk right there on stage.  He was eyeing a pretty blonde right next to me and not making any attempt to be subtle.  Don't know how trashed he was but you could see his eyes change, but he never lost a note.  3 big shots of JD would do that to anyone.  The set ended with the other guitarist doing a fab version of Psycho Killer.  Crowd was very appreciative.


The Centro guys were still there after Jason's set so we chatted with them a bit before heading home.  Truly was a great show and looking forward to tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment