Sunday, March 29, 2015

8/27/2007

This will be long.  Skip now if you want.

So, we saw Centro-matic last Friday in Orlando (see blog for review) and last Saturday in Tampa (Ybor).  Both sets too short,
especially Orlando.  But the shows were both so wonderful and
memorable.  I was in a Centro-matic high, and didn't want it to end.
Checked their site and saw that they were playing Macon (Macon Fucking
Georiga??!!??) and planned a roadtrip.  After all, they'd be the
headliners, after two shows of being 1st and 2nd on the bill.  Was
hoping for a good long set.

Broached ths subject to my friend Kevin,  and best bud Bev and they were all for it.  We 3 hadn't done a roadtrip together since we drove to Atlanta to
see Wilco at the Tabernacle, which was 5  (???) years or so ago.

Found a cheap hotel downtown close to the venue,  but I reviewed it under Orbitz and under amenities it listed 'toilets' so I decided to skip that hotel for something else. Of course, I wasn't feeling any more confident when we arrived at our hotel and I walked up to the counter and said I had a reservation and
the guy behind the counter said, "Jennifer?"

Me and Bev had hauled our bikes so we went out for about an hour's
ride. My first experience with hills.  The place I ride most often is called Flatwoods, and the name describes it totally. She told me on the way back to
Tampa that the secret was to shift into your easier gear before you
needed it (that info would have been helpful earlier.)  I was huffing
and puffing.  But it felt good after the long car trip.

I went to school  at Mercer in Macon.  This was the early 80's.  The Mercer campus was a dangerous place, the neighborhood around it was too.  We rarely ventured downtown.  So I was pleasantly surprised by downtown Macon.  In the wash of the black night it looked happening.  Hard to find a parking
space.  It wasn't teeming with people but it wasn't deserted either.

Met up with some people from my obsessive music list, Postcardfromhell. Fun to finally meet and put faces to names.  I'm usually shy about
meeting new people (yeah yeah put a few beers in me and that changes)
but had met Jon before and I guess having the commonality of Postcard
made things easier. It was great to talk to Josh and Corey and Paula
and Jon over beer and dinner, then to meet Jay and his friends Mike
later.

Ran into Will outside the venue and he was happy to see us.  Offered
to put us on the list but we declined.  Told him since I hadn't baked
anything for him I felt bad and would happily pay the cover.  Ran into
Scott next, and he was happy to see some familiar faces as well.
Assured Mark that I was not stalking him. (well, I am but I just lied
to make him feel better)  Chatted a bit with Matt too.

One thing about small towns, they still have reasonable prices for
drinks.  $3 pints for something very tasty.   Sometime before the first
set I guess I get into a chatty mood (ah, beer) and start talking with
this fresh faced kid at the bar who was bemoaning the fact that he
looked 14, then doing shots of Dewars (who shoots scotch??) and then
talked to some of the young men up from the AFB in Warner Robins.  The
haircut always gives them away. 

Centro-matic, what can I say.  I hate to keep harping what a wonderful
lubricant beer is, but it was working for me Saturday night.  I was in
a place of joy, rocking and swaying to the tunes.  It was wonderful
being surrounded by people who are as enthralled as I am. I couldn't
have been happier.  Chatted more with the band after the show.  Now I
want to follow them wherever they go.  I'm
truly smitten.

So crashed back at the hotel.  Bev got up early to do another bike
ride and I slept in.  We ate and drove thru Rose Hill  Cemetery (that place is
awesome..it goes on and on) and by the Mercer campus (my god has it
changed!  For the better!  musta found some money somewhere 'cause
there's been tons of new building and fixing up and it looks great...)
and back home.

Intense weekend, much fun.  I heart Centro-matic.  So nice to meet the
Atlanta Postcarders.  What a wonderful and memorable weekend.




--
Jennifer

np: Centro-matic (what else) All the Falsest Hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment