Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Gung-ho

I started out this thing a few weeks ago, writing something I hoped was entertaining, even if just for me.  I was trying to write just about every other day.  I was hoping my posts were a bit entertaining, engaging, maybe even funny, with a few pithy comments thrown in here or there.

It's hard to do this all the time.  So I will say that my admiration has grown for those who have a full time blog, with a cadre of followers.  It's hard to deliver, day after day.

Think about it. 

A writer of fiction, whether it be novels or short stories: the time line between production (of proffered work) and induction (reading) of same can be quite lengthy. There are editors involved.  And rewrites.  And editors.  And rewrites.

A painter can spend years (or maybe months/weeks/days or hours) on a canvas but there is still a time lag between the artist putting paint to canvas and the canvas being shown/appreciated.  There can be representatives involved, who tell the artist which pieces should be shown.  (Whether it's the spouse or a  paid agent.)

A songwriter has an idea, and it can emerge in a flash or a song can develop over years, but it still takes time to get from idea/inspiration to audience.   Most releases have producers, who do the editing function.

I can make the same analogy with filmmakers, writers who publish articles in magazines, even the people who work so hard to publish their church bulletins.  There is a delay between thought, product (not the right word but want one to encompass all forms of expression) and reception by the audience.  An in a lot of cases, there is a middleman who has given some input/constructive criticism.

But blogs are different.  You write your thoughts down, hit enter, and it's out there. (Of course, if you're like me, you don't have much of an audience so you don't need to worry about disappointing anyone.)

This is new to me.  So, if you're reading, please be patient with me through my explorations.  My thought processes.

My inspiration is the Fat Cyclist:    

http://www.fatcyclist.com/

If you have some spare time, I recommend starting with his 'Top Posts' section and go from there.  He's a blogger that I follow religiously. I'm sure I'll refer to him often.

The point is, after doing this for a whopping two weeks, I just need to say that I admire those who can do this on a very regular basis.  Trying to create something that people look forward to reading....hmmm...it's ..OMG.. it might become work instead of fun.  But right now it is still fun.  And right now very few folks are reading, so it all works out.  And trying to be good/creative/fun with only myself to edit my ramblings, yeah, that is a challenge.

Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment