Thursday, May 13, 2010

Haul from Sunshine Thrift Store 1/2 price on clothing sale

The Sunshine Thrift Store has their monthly 1/2 price on clothing sale usually the second Thursday of every month.  My friend, Bev, and I usually go together on a marathon shopping spree there about once every other month.  We have our shopping down to a science.

First, we dress in tight fitting clothes.  I've got a pair of what I would have called biking shorts before I started biking.  They're black, tight, come down almost to my knees.  (no chamois, that would be really awkward)  A tight fitted tank top of top.  Then I put my regular clothes over that.

Whoever gets there first grabs a cart (waiting for someone in line to pay and ask for theirs) and heads to a specific location.  Today I got there first, around 9:15, and started in the kid's section.  My oldest son's eighth grade graduation is in a few weeks and he needs a nice outfit for that.  Since he's graduating eighth grade, it only makes sense that he is starting high school  in August.  He's worn a uniform to school since kindergarten, so I'm trying to bring him home some things he'll like and think are cool.  I found quite a few things for him.

Bev arrives and we spend time there, in the housewares section, where I grab one of about 10 George Foreman grills for $3, and a set of vintage bar glasses (for consignment) for .40 each. 

I need some shorts since I've (ahem) grown lately.  Also wanted to get an outfit for Tropical Heatwave this Saturday night.  We go through the racks, pull something that looks promising, and throw it in the cart.  I hit the wall at 11:30.  I was hungry and we still had to sort all that we had piled in the cart.

That's where the tight fitting clothes part comes in handy.  I take off my top layer and try on the clothes by a mirror in the back.  There are only 2 dressing rooms and the line for them is long.  While Bev and I were doing that, we were talking with some fellow shoppers and they commented on how clever we were. (I'm clever like the Doctor.)  I got a hand basket to put the clothes in that I wanted, folded nice and neatly so the price tag is showing, making the cashier extremely grateful.

So here's what I ended up with:
2 pair of capris
5 pair of shorts (I know, really???)
1 skirt
2 dressy blouses (1 of which combines with the skirt above to make up my Heatwave outfit)
3 tshirts
1 long sleeve tshirt
1 long sleeve boy's dress shirt
2 technical t's for riding or running
2 pair boy's jeans
1 pair men's jeans
2 pair boy's pants
1 small George Foreman's grill1 black velvet cocktail dress (w/ crinoline)
1 chinese silk jacket
4 vintage bar glasses (these last 3 items are for consignment)

Total tab $51.  Less than you'd pay for a pair of jeans in the mall.  I rock.  Bev rocks.  Sunshine Thrift Store rocks.

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment